Ok, I’ll admit it. I play Song Pop.
But for you who have not yet discovered the delights of Song Pop, it can also be titled “Guess that Song” or “Title and Artist”. Basically, you get a snippet of a song and you have four options to choose from. The options could be the title of the song or the artist (or the TV show or musical that the song is from). And there are different playlists to choose from — all centring around a theme.
One of the playlists is called “Instant Smile”. I can only assume it’s because when you hear the snippet of music, most of the songs bring a smile to your face. For example, “Walking on Sunshine” by Katrina and the Waves, “Mamma Mia” by Abba and “I’m a Believer” by the Monkees.
However, I do question songs such as “Kung Foo Fighting” by Carl Douglas and “Me and Julio Down by the Schoolyard” by Paul Simon being on the list. Who smiles at those?
But I digress.
The very title “Instant Smile” seems to be, for the most part, a good description of the songs. Which led me to wonder….
What else gives me an instant smile?
You know, those smiles that just come out, without effort. I’m not talking laughs. I’m talking genuine, eye-crinkling smiles.
So here are some of the random things that bring an instant smile to my face:
- A warm, sunny spot on a cold winter’s day
- The smell of freshly mown grass
- Getting into bed at the end of a long day
- Little notes and drawings from my two children
- That first cup of coffee for the day
- Improving on my PB at the gym
- Showering after being at the gym!
- Glorious multi-coloured sunsets
- My son telling me he loves me
- Dark, foreboding clouds of an incoming storm
- The sound of waves crashing on the rocks
- A cup of tea and my current book
- Watching my daughter dance
- Listening to my daughter sing
- The thought of spending time with good friends
- A bunch of roses
- Going to sleep when it’s pouring with rain outside
- My husband offering to rub my feet
- A beautiful piece of music
- Cuddles with my kids
- The knowledge of a job well-done
- The promise of a sleep-in.
Oh, and beating my Champion Friend on Song Pop! (You know who you are!!!)
What gives you an instant smile?